Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tutorial on Color Blocking

Today it was my turn to do a tutorial over at Let's Scrap. This is the last task I have in the Design Team this term. Our term is finishing on the 31st of July and on the 1st of August a new team will continue to inspire and guide the members. It has been an honor to be part of the DT for 8 months, but now I feel that a break is in it's place and it is time for new crafters to inspire.

Anyways, my tutorial is about color blocking and here it is:


Color is a big part of scrapbooking and that is why I made a tutorial on color blocking.

Color Blocking is a hot fashion trend that this season takes bold opposites on the color wheel and puts them together for the widest contrast possible. The only other extreme color block combination is black/ white.

So, primary colors on the color wheel are red, blue and yellow; secondary colors are purple, green and orange. The optimal color block scheme would be to take a red, mix it with a green, and add a third color. A good advice would be to pair up one bright, one bold and one neutral color. Combining different shades of a color is also color blocking. Eg. Sky blue, cobalt and navy look great together as well as pale pink, brigt pink and fuchsia.
 
Traditionally color blocking has been associated with making a background with different colored blocks. But it can be so much more, it doesn’t have to be about blocks. You can mix and match as you want as long as you keep your eyes on the color wheel and keep in mind that opposites highlights each other. Few ideas to combine colors would be:
  • Cobalt blue, Yellow and Orange
  • Chocolate Brown, Pink and Peach
  • Purple, Bright Blue and Teal
  • Deep Blue, Bright Pink and White
  • Coral, Grey and Ivory

Here are some links that might help you in figuring out what I am talking about:



I have been having trouble with my mojo lately and thought to try two new things, color blocking and make a layout that is not typical of me. That's why I lifted a layout by Michelle van Wyk, who's layouts are such an inspiration to me !!
In this  layout I combined brownish orange with the opposite color from the wheel, light blue and added accents like green and a color that is close to orange, the fuchsia. Even if I say it my self, I think it turned out quite well.
That's it. Can't wait to see your creations ! Remember that you can use any of the tutorials in any of the DT challenges and you are in for an extra chance to win the RAK that the challenging DT is offering. BUT only if you let the DT hosting the challenge know that you've used this tutorial !
Let's Scrap !

That's all folks ! Do leave me a comment so I'll know you've been here.
Hughs,
Susanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for peeking in. I really appreciate your comment.