Thursday, April 7, 2022

The art of letting go

Hi,

I have been put in a situation where I have to learn quickly new skills as a mom - the art of letting go. Our already 18 yo son took the car, packed it and headed to France last night for a month long sailing tour. 


The trip started with ferry to Stockholm (how else would he get out of this island 😉) in the middle of the night. The first part of the trip he is accompanied by his Dad all the way to Pornichet, where Dad will get on a sailing boat and sail it home. The first day of driving has been challenging as it has been snowing and heavy rain in Sweden all day. Somewhere on the road the car alarmed about high oil pressure. So they had to stop at a garage and change the oils. Well on the road again the raining continued.

From Pornichet our son will continue his trip alone.  A appr 400 km drive to Hourtin all alone will for sure be a trial for him.  In Hourtin he will participate in a training week before the U21 European Championships. With a little help from my cousin we found a cheap camping site very close to the sailing club hosting the regatta. So he will be able to park his car safe as he is going to camp in the car for the trip.

After the regatta he will head to the Olympic week in Hyeres. That's appr 800 km drive. And as a mom I am a bit nervous. 

I don't think of myself of being a worrying mom in any way. I mean our son has been sailing since he was 6-7 years old and participated in the Finnish ranking series for several years. He has also travelled to larger regattas such as Lake Garda Meeting Opti Regatta, training in Spain and World Championships in Poland last august. His Dad has been with him. on these trips. I have not been stressing about these trips at all, or maybe a little. But I have to tell you that when your 18 yo son, who just 5-6 months ago got his drives licence, is taking the car and leaving for a month in Europe all by himself.... the stress levels have been rising with the D day getting closer.

I have a feeling that this month will be full of learning for me. Full of feelings and thoughts etc etc... Oh boy, will I be relieved and happy when he gets home in the beginning of May.

If you be interested, you can follow his trip on his facebook page Thomas Lindström Sailing, here.

Well, that's all for now. Peek in soon again and I'll tell you more about my learning trip during this month.

Br,

Susanna


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for peeking in. I really appreciate your comment.