Monday, March 9, 2015

Thoughts about equality

Hi there,

today I want to take a minute to discuss something that has been filling my thoughts for a while.
In Scandinavia, especially in Finland and Sweden, a discussion about peoples equality, race and religion has been going on for ages.  It has gone to such extremes that e.g. it is not ok to say he or she anymore but a gender neutral word should be used when referred to in a text or a speech. We have to be careful so that we will not hurt anyones feelings !

Yes yes, I do understand, one should always use neutral words when describing people. You should not use a word like negro for a black person, he or she when talking about a unspecific person…
This discussion has affected e.g. the Donald Duck's christmas saga (the cartoon that is aired on christmas eve) In this cartoon a jewish doll and a black doll have been part of the film for ages. But now, these have to be re-drawn because it is not correct in matter of race, religion and equality.

Yeah right! 

Well, I have a question for you !
Take this traffic sign. This is the traffic sign for pedestrian crossing.


Isn't this racist ? Here we have a black person crossing the street. But if you look closer, he is crossing the street when the ground is white, in other words in the winter, right? wearing trousers.
What about during the summer ? And aren't anyone else allowed to cross the street but black people? Does men, black men specifically, have to wear trousers ?
And what about ladies? are they not allowed to cross the street at all? Do they have to wear trousers ?  What about high heels ? what about elderly people walking with a cane? And other religious people? Children?

What about this sign?
A sign for a walkway.


A white man walking with a white child. I rest my case.


These are my thoughts today, written in my own blog. I do not want nor do I expect to get any comments on this posting. I am just airing some thoughts. No one should feel hurt or anything of a kind. But I have to wonder if these discussions have gone a bit too far.

Hugs,
Susanna





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for peeking in. I really appreciate your comment.