Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Unbelievable that this happens in 2012

Yesterday I was surfing on facebook and by an accident popped over to a blogpost that describes how things are working today, in 2012, in Helsinki University Hospital childrens ward. 

This hospital there is two separate ICU's, K7 and K9, eventhough the functionality is the same in both. K7 is a ICU for newborn babies where they treat babies with special needs and premature babies. K9 is ICU for older children. Both of these deal with children that have special conditions. The children are often in life support and treatments are done. In the K7 ward the families can spend as much time as possible with the children. Actually all the time, except when operations are done. They can even stay the night.

K9 ward has specific visiting times that parents have to follow. The times that the parents are allowed to visit their children are 8-9AM, 1.30-3PM, 4-7PM and 8.30-10PM, however if any treatments are done during this time, no access is granted. The children can be sharing rooms with several other children and if treatments are done to any of those children, none of the parents are allowed in. The ward has a very competent personnel and they make sure that the children get the best care in the world. BUT these children have to manage without the love and comfort of their parents. The personnel is not informing the parents if the kids condition turn to worse, but first when there is nothing else that can be done.

When reading this, tears started pouring down my cheeks and I had to stop reading. I did however "see" a sentence: " I want my mum !- being yelled by a small girl of 3 years.." little further down the article. This really breaks my heart ! And I wonder how is it possible that this can happen in this civilized world in the year 2012? How can two similar wards operate with so huge differences? And what is the purpose of it? Isn't it hard enough for the family and the small children that they are sick and cannot be at home? Do they have to suffer this way?

Well, that said, I truly pray to God that the people being in charge of this and any other hospital can think of the best of the children not only medically but rationally ! It is hard enough to have sick children and the thought of not being able to be with them and comfort them is just killing me.

Hughs,
Susanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for peeking in. I really appreciate your comment.